My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Waking Up in the Middle of a Boxing Ring

This is a quote from Stepping into the Ring by Nicole Johnson. The book was given to me by a friend recently.
"Finding out I had cancer was like going to sleep in my own bed and suddenly waking up in the middle of a boxing ring. Out of the clear blue I am standing toe-to-toe with the Heavyweight Champion of the World, the crowd is looking on, and I am in my pajamas and don't even know how to throw a punch....The only choice was whether or not to go forward. I could keep standing there, literally getting killed, or I could begin to fight back."
My port was placed yesterday, I am black and blue, very sore, and tomorrow is chemo. I feel like the punches are coming too quickly, but I can only move forward if I want to win.
Don't get me wrong; I am thankful that there are medical advances that make it possible to defeat this disease, but none of it is simple or easy, and there is no turning back.
Again, I thank you for your prayers. Please pray that the side effects from tomorrow's chemo will be minimal, God willing. I would ask prayer for my family again, too. I know this is not easy for them.
I'll probably post next when I feel better after Chemo #2 - I will be a third of the way through chemos then! That is something to celebrate.

1 comment:

Sarah Sheets said...

Your poor body is just trying to heal from 1 thing when another thing comes along! I am so sorry about the 1-2 punches you're receiving. I can only think THIS is the hardest part, don't you?And what are you gonna do, just NOT engage the Heavyweight Champ??Nope, unfortunately it's the old AA saying, "One day at a time!"And you would do this and more if it were one of your family members and count it as pure joy to help. They love blessing you...