My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Thanks, Kind Friend!

Last night I felt that I had enough energy to leave the house with Bryan for a dinner close by. We live down the street from a Cracker Barrel, and thought there would be enough variety on the menu for something to taste good to me. I did indulge in a couple of vegetables and a biscuit or two and they tasted good. Almost as soon as we had placed our order, one of the other servers came over and told us that our check had been taken care of by another customer. Thank you, kind friend! It is these acts of kindness that encourage us on this long and unexpected journey.
A visit to the plastic surgeon today confirmed that I am healing on schedule. He did note that chemotherapy would slow the healing process, but all looks good now. I may actually leave the recliner where I have been sleeping since my surgery and return to a regular bed with the help of a wedge.
My diet consists mostly of scrambled eggs, toast, popsicles, and sherbet and ice cream, washed down with plenty of gingerale. I am hoping to want a steady diet of some real food in the next few days.
I received a card from a friend who has been faithful to send me several cards of encouragement. She said that I had been spotted around Southeast periodically when I was able (our church has an attendance of about 20,000) and she compared it to "Elvis sightings" - I got a laugh out of that.
I have to put in a plug for my "day nurse". Katie is faithful to complete her school assignments per my written instructions, in addition to keeping laundry going, caring for pets, going to the grocery, helping with meals and driving me to some of my appointments. This is not the senior year I had in mind for her, but she is proving to be a mature, loving daughter during a difficult time. Sarah and Emily come as often as they can to help out, too.

No comments: