My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

How Do People Battle Cancer Without Friends?

Yesterday I was having a "yucky" day painwise and fatiguewise, and a visit to my surgeon indicated that I will have to have another small corrective surgery (cosmetic, not cancer-related) after radiation in the spring. I came home with a migraine and took my Imitrex and phenergan to sleep off the headache. While I was resting, a member of our FBF at church delivered a basket. When I awoke, Katie brought it into my room - what a treat! The class had gone together and assembled the best gift basket imaginable! Comfy socks, magazines, a beautiful mug, an assortment of teas, a variety of trail mixes, products from Bath and Body Works and Mary Kay, a book, lotions, fingernail polishes, a framed scripture, and to top it all off - an ipod Shuffle loaded with Christian music to listen to during my chemos and the days following when I can't move. I was overwhelmed and so grateful to have friends who are praying and showing me how much they care that I recover.
This was the second basket this week - earlier in the week I received a basket of inspirational books from the Dave Dravecky Outreach of Hope organization courtesy of a dear friend of mine from high school, Patti Thornton, who has just recently completed all her treatments and surgeries for breast cancer.
I think that having a good group of Christian friends is so important at a time like this. I am learning along the way how to minister to others in the future by the way I am being ministered to now by so many.
How DO people do this without friends?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jan,

I have been catching up on your last few post and wow!, do you have a lot going on besides your recovering from your last treatment. I hope as the days go on this week you will feel rejuvinated. It is sweet to hear about the support you have from your friends and I know when the time comes you will be the encourager as I am sure you have been in the past. Hope your Monday is filled with pockets of joy and reminders that God is by your side.

I will be praying for you,

Dana