My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Columbus Day and Me

O.K., it makes for a great Monday holiday and a long weekend to move Columbus Day around each year, but we all know that Columbus actually discovered America (or an island close by) on October 12th (at least those of us who went to school when they were ALL traditional schools.

Tomorrow is October 12th, and I feel like Columbus setting sail for the unknown in Chemo 3#. Will I have different side effects this time? Will it be harder or easier? Will I bounce back sooner or later? Will that wonderful Procrit shot that they've promised me tomorrow boost my hemoglobin and make me feel like a new woman? Will I have bone pain from the Neulasta that boosts my white count? Once I did and once I didn't. The only sure thing is that I will be halfway through and that I won't lose any more hair.

I feel like Columbus, preparing for a voyage. Thanks to the prayer warriors that responded yesterday and prayed that I would get a boost of energy - the prayer was answered! I went to my morning checkup with Bryan, and then we did banking and post office stuff. I came home with enough energy to go to lunch with Katie, buy some necessary items at the grocery, and even do a brief shopping stop with her to look at rings (this is to replace her senior ring that was stolen during the last chemo.) I came home, and after a brief nap, was able to grade Katie's work, fold some laundry, and tonight I will read Katie's schoolwork through Tuesday to know what Katie is reading and studying through that time. I refilled prescriptions that I will need to use through next weekend, paid all bills due the next two weeks, stocked up on chemo foods, and made sure that I have taken care of everything that Katie will need through next Tuesday. I even bought a Christmas present that crossed my path. Bryan is on his own here - I think at 50, he can do it! BTW, he mailed his AARP dues today - where does the time go??? I even ironed and laid out my clothes for tomorrow, because I don't do mornings very well these days, and my wig is clean. I have my i-pod Shuffle, thanks to my FBF, to listen to Christian music during chemo and the next few days when I am motionless.

According to history, Columbus made his voyage to further Christendom. I don't know that I will do that through Chemo #3, but I do pray that I will lean on Jesus and that I will be a good witness to anyone I come in contact with at Louisville Oncology tomorrow

If you are running or walking the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Saturday, October 13th, watch for my team - They are called the G.I. Jans in my honor, and to my knowledge, they include my sisters Becky and MaryAnn, (Jennifer is out-of-town) my niece Jessica, my daughters Sarah and Katie, (Emily is out-of-town), my niece and nephew, (who are Jennifer's children) Hudson and Savannah, and there may be some Halloway kids (MaryAnn's) which might include any or all of the following: Madison, Chandler, Payton, or Caden. I think my niece Whitney is out-of-town, too, or I know she would be walking. My mom has opted not to walk due to health reasons, but she bought a "Sleep in for the Cure" t-shirt, and she is the financial backer of Team G.I. Jan. You go, girls! I will be right alongside you next year!
Once again, I know that I sound like a broken record, but I don't know how else to say it - thanks for cards, e-mails, phone calls - someone (or more than one someone) contacts me daily and it is very important to my spirits and my recovery.
Love, Jan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jan,

So glad God gave you the energy that you needed today! It sounds like you acomplished way more than I did and I am thinking I need to get my self in gear!!! I will definitely be praying for you tomorrow and this weekend. My sister Angela and I will be participating in another walk for breast cancer in a couple of weeks and you are the inspiration for that. By the way your faith and determination to hang onto Jesus through all of this will speak and is speaking to many hearts around you, of this I am sure.

In Him,

Dana