My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Monday, May 19, 2008

Update and Endings

I am beginning to gain some energy, although mornings are still a struggle, and praying that I will have adequate energy for Katie's graduation and our trip to England and Scotland. If I have to rest over there, at least I am resting in a new environment, more interesting than my own couch at home.
I am also learning to deal with my arm - compression, exercises, massage, skin care -in a more day-to-day manner - it is becoming a routine part of my life for now.
My surgery is June 24th to repair my TRAM donor site (abdomen). It will take 6-8 weeks to recover, so I should be good for Katie's move to college and Sarah's wedding.
News of the girls:
Sarah continues to plan her wedding.
Emily returned safely from Greece. She had a nice surprise after she returned - she and Hunter had lunch with Brett Favre the day after her return. The girl leads a charmed life!!!
Katie had her final dance recitals this past weekend, and she danced beautifully. She plans to continue with her dancing, as Anderson has a dance minor and a dance team.
I am going through a lot of "lasts" as my body is permanently altered, and as Katie graduates, and we prepare for the empty nest this fall when Katie moves away and Sarah gets married. Emily already lives away from home. I found a quote from Dave Dravecky, a pitcher who lost his arm to cancer, that means alot to me right now.

"We can't go back, no matter how much we ache to do so. All we can do is give thanks for what once was, for the good that was there, for the happy times that were had, for the laughter, for the love, for the memories that were shared. Then, saying goodbye to those times and to those loved ones, we can put our hand in the hand of Him who gave orbit to the sun and the moon and the stars, and trust that he has a course for our lives as well."

1 comment:

Malia Russell said...

Dearest Jan:
Thank you so much for a beautiful reminder. Such a woman of grace and inspiration you are. I know your blog is a blessing to many.
Malia