My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Monday, November 5, 2007

My Grandfather

My dad's dad, Robert Speas, aged 90 years old, has decided as of yesterday to stop his dialysis treatments. He lives in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He has just come back from the hospital to his nursing facility and he wants no more medical intervention. He is also a diabetic, and was in the hospital for pneumonia.
I met my grandfather for the first time when I was in my early thirties, and all three of my children had been born. He and my grandmother were high school sweethearts who divorced after the birth of my father. We did not meet him until after the death of his second wife.
It was nice to get to know him - he and my dad look so much alike and have many mannerisms in common. Although I did not grow up knowing him as Grandpa, there is a very special place in my heart for him, and he will not be forgotten.
It is difficult for me to think of him lying there and waiting to pass away. I ask that you would pray for him and his family (he had two sons by his second marriage). I would especially ask for prayer that he has accepted or will accept Christ as his Savior.
Thanks,
Jan

1 comment:

Sarah Sheets said...

Just wanted you to know I'm still out here and still praying for TOTAL AND COMPLETE HEALING! Reading Phillip Yancey's book "Prayer: Does It Really Make Any Difference?" And I'd like to tell you that it does! which you probably already knew. I'm the struggler here. But LOVE praying for you and watching how God will totally heal you.

Sarah

So sorry to hear about your Grandfather.How can one face those last days, knowing full well it's coming, and NOT know the Savior?