My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Monday, November 26, 2007

Back from Chemo #5

This chemo seemed to be the worst yet - I don't know why. Today is day 6 and I am just "coming back". This treatment was accompanied by a severe depression. I will need to pray for extra courage to go back on Dec. 12 for the last one.
I did not go to my husband's family on Thanksgiving. I slept through most of the last few days. Sarah did come and spend a couple of nights, and Emily spent a night, too, so I could hear the girls laugh, watch movies, and knit, even if I couldn't participate.
One bonus to the rest was that my lymphedema arm got a great rest, and it looks pretty much like my other arm. I will need to put the sleeve back on as I get active again.
My grandfather also passed away during this chemo. He died Saturday, November 24th about midnight. Please pray for traveling mercies for my parents, who are driving today to Winston-Salem, NC for the funeral. I am sorry not to be able to go.
I think this is harder for me right now because I love to do a big Christmas - I usually bake about 700 cookies for everyone I know, and we cut a live tree and decorate lots. I also send out lots of Christmas cards, and I like choosing just the right gifts for friends and family. I will be "limping along" this Christmas, but several people have reminded me that chemo means that there will be a next Christmas. I just need to look at the end result. Easier said than done.
I am hoping that my girls will be a big help with decorating and baking this year, and I hope to enlist Bryan with some shopping and wrapping.
I am thankful that I am alive and that I do have the hope of many Christmases to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jan, I am so sorry to read about your grandfather's passing. I am also sorry to hear about your rough time going through this last treatment. It must comfort you just to know your girls are near by. What a blessing you have in your daughters! Thanks for keeping us updated, I am praying for you to be blessed with little nuggets of joy every day and that God will continue to sustain you mentally and physically during these next few weeks.
Dana Mitchell