My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

More Fun Before Chemo #5

Yesterday was my birthday. In the morning, I got some new clothing - a lymphedema sleeve and glove! In the afternoon, I got a massage - lymphedema instructions and demonstration of how to do the massage at home at least twice weekly! Now how much more fun could a girl have? Oh, and over the phone my dad sang his traditional happy birthday song to me - I wish I could add audio to this entry!
In the evening, Bryan and two of the girls took me out to dinner along with my mother-in-law, Jean. I received some really nice gifts and Sarah brought out her new whippet puppy to meet "Grammy Jan". (I guess that's the best I'll do for a few years in the grandma department - since no one is married, it's a good thing). The puppy is named Oni, which means "wanted" in Egyptian. Sarah got her from a rescue shelter, so it is appropriate.
Tonight my mom and dad took all the sisters out for dinner. Jennifer's birthday is also this week, and Becky's is early in December, so we celebrated three birthdays. MaryAnn will get her own celebration in January. It was fun to visit with my "original" family.
Tomorrow is chemo #5, and I am actually ready. It means the sooner I get to #6, and the sooner I finish. I am told that I will start to feel better four to six weeks after the final chemo, and that I will start to grow hair.
Bryan's brother, Eric, and his wife, Denise, are hosting the Veal Thanksgiving on Thursday, and I plan to go if possible. I usually am able to be up and around a little the day after chemo.
Emily is going to Paducah with Hunter for Thanksgiving. It is the first time one of my girls has been away for a holiday, so it seems a little strange, but I am happy for Hunter. I don't think he has had a Thanksgiving at home with his family since he started playing football for UL. He celebrated with us last year, but he loves his family and is a homebody by nature, so I know he will have a great Thanksgiving this year. Pray for traveling mercies.
Thanks again for calls, cards, e-mails, etc. Not a day goes by but that someone lets me know I'm in his or her thoughts and prayers.
My grandfather is still lingering, but they think his time is near. Please keep the family in your prayers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jan--

We are praying for you and think of you often. I know a little of what you are going through and pray for His peace during this time.

It is worth the fight! Although it is a difficult time, the Lord is still holding on to you and loves you very much.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving with your family.

-- David & Linda Tate

PS--I have completed my treatments and am feeling better everyday. We trust you will be doing the same soon.