My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Monday, June 16, 2008

Update on Dad/Beach/Mom

Several have asked about my dad, and in all the flurry of events the last few weeks, I have neglected to post an update. Dad is home, starting to feel better from the last bout of pneumonia. He felt well enough to travel to Bowling Green alone in one of his street rods for a show there. My mom felt that it was safe to leave him home alone for a week while we are at the beach. He doesn't care to come along on this beach trip - too many women - 5, and too many grandkids - 24, 20, 17, 16, 13, 9, 7, 6, 4, 3 are the ages, and there is no peace or quiet in the beach house!

I ordered a huge sun umbrella that is supposed to block 100% of the sun's rays to protect my arm, and it seems to be working. The sleeve is hot, but I try to get as close to the water as I can for the breeze, and I take a spray bottle of water to stay cool.

My big excitement for the day yesterday was that I got into the pool - I am allowed to remove the sleeve if my arm is underwater - the pressure from the water works as compression. I actually was able to swim freestyle - about six laps across the pool, not lengthwise - but it was very encouraging to me to be able to do this. I plan to begin swimming in earnest again about three months after this next surgery.
Swimming is the one exercise that can be done without the sleeve, so I plan to spend lots of time in the pool year round - it will be my exercise of choice, in addition to walking again.

Thanks for your prayers while I am traveling. I feel that I have been given a burst of energy just at the right time to do these things!

One other health note: my mom is going to have surgery on her knee the day before my surgery, so Emily will be my caretaker for this surgery. Katie will be away for the week. Please pray that Mom will have a successful surgery and quick healing, and that Emily and I will be able to handle the drains, etc. that follow my surgery. Thanks so much for many, many prayers!!!!
Jan

No comments: