My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Friday, August 31, 2007

My first treatment

My first treatment was about 4 1/2 hours today. Bryan came with me for support (and discovered they have great snacks, so I am confident that he will return!) I am tired, but I can't blame it all on the treatment.

I went to the UL football game last night, determined to see Hunter Cantwell, my daughter Emily's boyfriend and the backup quarterback play, and I was not disappointed. I thought it would be a fun thing to do and it would take my mind off the chemo. It distracted me, but I think it wore me out, too!

The good news is that I am not allergic to Taxotere, as some are, so my treatments can be completed in full. They run this bag at 2 hours the first time to watch for allergic reaction. From now on, that bag will run in 1 hour, which will make the day shorter.

The news I did not want to hear is that I will need a port, due to lack of great veins. This is probably good news, because it will shorten treatments and lessen stress in looking for those veins each time. I will have outpatient surgery on Wednesday Sept. 19 to "install the port" at BHE.

I am told the hair will go in 10 - 14 days, so I have scheduled my "head shaving" with the girl who does my hair on September 11. She will help me learn how to wear my wig. If I get brave, I will have someone take a picture. If not, I will just cry a little and move on to the next step!

Your calls, cards, meals, gifts, prayers are overwhelming - I can't thank you enough or tell you how loved I feel right now.

Jan

2 comments:

Anne said...

Jan,
What a game! So glad you could go and have some family fun, that goes a long way! Such a relief about the scan! The love of God will keep you and the love of family and friends is nice bonus.
When you can have visitors again, I'll be there. Meanwhile, I have another movie you will like! While Ev was in Quebec she saw and purchased this one. A French/Quebec film which has the Fr/Que accent that is similar to a SouthCentral Ky accent. When they say yes "oui" it sounds like a duck saying "wah". The name of the film is Le Grande Seduction about a very small town trying to convince a doctor to stay and be their town dr. The English subtitles will keep you awake, maybe. I could mail it or drop it in your box or door. Hey, maybe Katie could put the other 2 in the box and I could put the new one in their place! Whatever you want to do is fine, no rush!
later, love you! Anne

molly edds said...

Jan,

Just wanted you to know you are on my heart and in my prayers constantly. Hope my favorite Bible verse will encourage you that "all His words are true." (ps. 119:160) Who He says He is, He is. What He promises, He does! Praying that you will continue to gain your strength from His strength.
Blessings,
Molly