My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Chemo Prep

Another big week for Mom! She learned from her oncologist last Wednesday that she will begin chemo in about three weeks. She will have six treatments of chemo, each three weeks apart. When she's finished with that, she will have four to six weeks of daily radiation. After radiation she will continue to take an oral for five years called Tamoxifen and for five years after that she will take another oral called Femara.
Last Saturday, to prepare for the on-going treatments, Mom and I went accessory shopping. She got the most beautiful blonde wig (which looks just like her natural hair except more blonde!) and we sent away to have a silver bracelet engraved with the "no needle, no blood pressure" warning for her right arm (the one they took the lymph nodes from). I am happy to say that Mom has not lost any of her abilities to shop!
Yesterday Mom had a minor outpatient procedure to repair the site where her incision was not healing as well as it should. She only had local anesthetic but she didn't feel a thing during the procedure and was in no pain last night!
Unfortunately, she did not get rid of her remaining drains yesterday (as she had hoped) but will most likely have them removed tomorrow. Just one more day!
Mom will continue with a series of tests and body scans for the oncologist today. She already had one on Monday and will have two more today. Please pray for good results on these tests! We will all be relieved to hear the results.
She is also asking prayer for courage for herself as she begins chemotherapy. I am also asking prayer for our whole family. I have had a kidney infection this week and my sister Emily is also very sick right now. Please pray for ALL of us to remain healthy and strong so that we can be there for our Mom!
Thanks again for the prayers, meals, visits, and the general waves of love that continuously roll in our direction!
-Sarah

2 comments:

Sarah Sheets said...

Thanks for the update. We missed ALL OF YOU at homeschool camp. We all love you very much.
Sarah Sheets

terese said...

I'm sorry to say this is my first visit to your blog- its been such a busy summer for me! I'm so glad to be able to read about your progress, Jan. I just want you to know that I'm praying for you and trusting in God's perfect care for you. I can see how wonderfully He has blessed you with your beautiful daughters! :) May God continue to bless you with His perfect PEACE and COMFORT.