My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Update from PA

I finished treatment early today, so I have a little time to write.
I am seeing big improvements in my level of pain, and the therapists tell me that it will take a month or so for my body to integrate the changes that have been made, so I should continue to see improvements after I am home. I am not pain-free, but my pain is lessened so that I can breathe deeply without chest pain, and I am not pushing through pain to do daily activities. I have also been able to go to the treatment center without wearing my truncal compression, although I will continue to wear it to clean house or if I am doing much standing or walking.
The treatments sometimes feel good; at other times they are painful. The work on loosening the facsia in the area of my chest is painful, but it yields good results so I am glad to endure the pain.
I felt good enough this weekend to drive to Lancaster on Saturday and see the Amish farms; on Sunday I went to see Valley Forge. I did not spend a long time out; I usually left my "home" around noon and returned by six after eating some dinner. But the ability to drive and do those things is good for me.
The therapists tell me that I will need to rest and take it easy for the next month, focusing on my home program and listening to my body, stopping before I get tired.
There is also a component of this program that deals with the mind: practicing forgiveness, letting go of personal failures, relaxing and dealing with relieving stress, etc., all of which can contribute to illness and tightness of the facsia.
In addition, there is a focus on thinking positively about oneself and visualizing having successes; for example, I would picture myself doing some of the things I want to do again and I would be smiling, looking happy while I engaged in those activities. I have been encouraged to journal about the things we talk about during the day, which I am doing, and I am finding that my attitude towards my future does make a difference.
Thanks so much for your prayers and support for me during my time here. I appreciate it very much!
Love,
Jan

No comments: