My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Monday, January 12, 2009

Update

Since my initial surgery, I have had some swelling in my trunk, but I was told that it would eventually go away. I have talked with several women who had swelling for a couple of years or more before they returned to "normal". My swelling has gotten increasingly worse over the last couple of months. As I felt better and began to do things around the house, I noticed more swelling and pain. I have been researching this online and speaking with other BC survivors in a support group, and I believe that I am dealing with truncal lymphedema. As is the case with my arm, there is no cure. It is different from my arm in that it is very painful, and that it cannot be wrapped to reduce the swelling. I will be discussing this with my oncologist at my next appointment, and I am looking at treatment options. I need to address chronic pain management. I have ordered a compression garment and I plan to pursue massage therapy. The best treatment, according to those who have truncal lymphedema, is to be in the water daily, because the water acts as a natural compressor and helps the lymphatic fluids to move. I am going to join BHE's wellness center - they have aqua fitness for BC survivors 3x a week, and I could go and repeat the exercises on my own the other days. I have been busy with family over the holidays, but I want to get very aggressive in working to reduce the swelling. Please pray for wisdom as I seek various treatments - there is not much awareness of this condition, even in the medical community. Please pray also for healing. I still believe that God can take this from me if it is His will. I am struggling with the idea that I am not returning to normal. I thought it would be surgery, chemo, radiation, and back to my life, but I am finding that my life will be different as a result of lymphedema: limited ability to lift much weight, avoiding heat and sun, managing swelling, etc. Learning to live with a chronic condition takes an adjustment not only of my daily schedule and activities, but also of my mindset. Please pray that I will develop a positive attitude about so many adjustments in my life.
My dad is going to have the treatment that may enable him to swallow clear liquids. I will keep you posted.
Katie left today for her spring semester, so I am going to be getting back into a normal daily routine. I am excited to start Bible study tomorrow evening. I am co-leading with a good friend, Sheri Hamilton, and I think it will be a great semester. I am also speaking this weekend at a homeschool convention, and giving a talk to a small group of moms later in the month. In addition, I have been approached by a homeschooling publication to do some free-lance writing for them. I am glad to feel that I am contributing to society again, even in small ways.
I hope your new year is going well! Thanks as always for prayers.
Jan

No comments: