My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh. Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:20-23

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Rollercoaster

I feel like I am on a rollercoaster, both physically and emotionally. I could do almost nothing Monday and Tuesday, but felt better Wednesday, so I went back to choir for the first time. I want to sing backstage at the Easter Pageant this year. I enjoyed seeing everyone, but boy did I ever crash on Thursday. By Friday evening I felt well enough to celebrate Sarah's birthday (she is 24 on Monday) at the Bristol with our family. Then I woke up this morning totally drained again and did nothing until time for church. I am hoping to have more energy tomorrow. I think my expectations were very high - too high - for regaining my strength after chemo. I pictured driving myself to next week's doctor's appointments and just being able to do more. It does not look like this is going to happen, so once again, I have lined up drivers. I don't know what I would do without Katie, Bryan and my mom to take me to all these appointments!
I have realized that I am going to have to continue to be very patient about the healing process, and this is hard for me to accept.
I am also very teary - I am guessing that is a result of the loss of estrogen in my body over a very short period of time, plus the accumulated frustration of six months of this process with the end still months away. I have days that I cry off and on almost all day, and the direst thoughts come to my mind. I really have to work at redirecting my mind, which I usually don't do on my own, but with the help of my family.
I know that I am going to get well, but at a slower rate than I expected.
Thanks for continued prayers, cards, and e-mails.
Jan

No comments: